Monday, July 26, 2010

Am I Keeping His Commandments Every Day?

Today I write this as a saved individual that has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. How do I know? I love not in word but in deed, 1 John 3:18 "....let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." I can only do this through the grace and strength that Christ gives every day.

Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Paul, the apostle did not say some things...but all! What I can do is.... " [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" 1 Peter 3:15.

So it with meekness and fear that I write.

I had someone within previous correspondence ask me this question concerning sin.:

1. If you recognize something to be wrong in your life, thought, word or deed... is this sin? If so, must you ask forgiveness for every standard broken that is not exactly Christ-like? If so, have you backslid every time forgiveness must be asked? If you have to ask forgiveness of another, for anything, have you sinned against them?

I can only go to scripture for my reference as to what sin is. The word of God (with the spirit witnessing) alone is my teacher. If any man or woman teaches anything that the word of God does not reveal to me as truth or is contrary to what God has shown me personally through his word then I am to reject that or shelve it until (unless) God reveals it to me in the future.

Galations 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." When a person gets saved they are a ‘babe in Christ’, reborn of the spirit. Just as a baby doesn’t know how to walk, talk, stand or do things neither does a babe in Christ. As a child grows they are taught (and disciplined to teach) what is right and wrong. This is the same as a Christian.

I pray that God will reveal to you my desire is not to judge you or your knowledge of his word or your understanding (light) of his word. It is my desire only that you pray, seek his face diligently that he reveal ‘all truth’ that you may be, and remain clean before God. I pray that you will have his love and peace on a day to day basis with no regrets or guilt. I am no one to judge your fruit. God does that through his word and what he reveals to you personally. It is possible that you (or anyone for that matter) can get saved in a location that does not teach ‘all truth’ concerning sin and what Gods standard is. But, God will show each of us more truth which possibly will expose any error in teachings or previous beliefs. We then have a decision to make whether to 'obey God rather than man'(Acts 5:29).

When I refer to ‘standard’ typically I know most individuals minds will go immediately to the ‘outward standard.’ I am not referring to this at all! I am referring to the ‘inward standard’. 1 Peter 3:4 ‘But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible,[even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit…” In this chapter the Apostle Peter deals with outward ‘standards’ but he brings it down to point out that if we have the right ‘heart condition’ one which is not corruptible, then it is easy (and our desire) to listen to and do all that the word of God will ‘teach us’ as far as obedience in our walk with God and even outward standard as he reveals it to us. 1 John 1: 7 tells us to ‘walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another,…’ Walking in the light is being obedient to what scripture teaches (trains) us as we grow in Christ.

What is sin? James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin. 1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

The definition of Unrighteousness is: injustice (properly the quality, by implication the act); moral wrongfulness (of character, life or act):- iniquity, unjust, unrighteousness, wrong.—Strong's Greek & Hebrew. To commit unrighteousness (sin) I must do (commit an act) something that is ‘morally wrong or something unjust to God or not do what I know to do that is good!

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Definition of committeth means to: to make or do; perform or execute (as in an act)—Strong's Greek & Hebre. Of the law, means: illegality, i.e. violation of law; wickedness :- iniquity,, unrighteousness.—Strong's Greek & Hebrew (G & H)Iniquity means: evil, sin (Strongs G & H).

If we do (perform or execute and act of) sin we violate God’s law. What law is the Apostle John writing about? The law of God brought through Christ! This law of God comes from the commandments Christ taught and ultimately what his disciples/apostles taught, as they were taught by him first hand. Jesus said in John 14: 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Vs 21 ‘He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me:…’
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


Jesus is clear that ‘If we keep his commandments’ we shall ‘abide in his love.’ This thought can only lead us to the conclusion (along with multiple other scriptures) that if we ‘don’t keep his commandments’ we shall NOT ‘abide in his love.’ What are some (just a few) of his commandments? A few listed that are writings of his own words and the Apostles that knew him best and heard his words/teachings first hand:

1. Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you (Matt. 5:44).
2. Bless them that curse you; let no cursing come out of your mouth (Matt. 5:44).
3. Pray for them that despitefully use you and afflict you (Matt. 5:44).
4. Be not conformed to this world: love not the world (1 John 2:15).
5. Deny all ungodliness and worldly lusts. If thy right hand offend thee, cut it off (Titus 2:13; Matt. 5:30).
6. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate (Rom. 12:16).
7. Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart (Matt. 22:37).
8. Pray always; pray with brevity and simplicity; pray secretly (Luke 18:1; Matt. 6:7).
9. As you would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them (Matt. 7:12).
10. Take Christ for an example and follow in his steps (1 Pet. 2:21).
11. Esteem Christ more highly than all earthly things; yea, than your own life (Luke 14:26
12. Confess Christ freely before men (Luke 12:8).
13. Beware lest the cares of life or the allurements of pleasure weaken his hold on your heart (Matt. 24:44).
14. Let your light shine before men: hold forth the word of life. Do good to all men as ye have opportunity (Matt. 5:16).
15. Be holy in all manner of conversation (1 Pet. 1:15, 16). Conversation means: behavior *Strongs Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.
20. And certainly not least, Go and Sin No More (John 5:14)‘….sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.’(John 8:11)‘…Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.’
21. The definition of 'No' more means: no further :- any longer,(not) henceforth, hereafter, no henceforward (longer, more, soon), not any more.—Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary
22. 1 John 3:5-6 5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
23. This is the same John who wrote the Gospel of John.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

The question I must ask of myself is:

‘Am I keeping his commandments every day?’

I must be honest with myself and God.

It is he alone that I will stand before in the day of judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment